Dog owners want the best for their dogs, but it can be overwhelming to pick when there are so many options. There’s a lot to consider when it comes to a good dog collar. Here’s a list of the best dog collar brands that any dog owner would love.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Dog Collars: What to Look For
- 2 Best Dog Collars
- 2.1 Illumiseen LED Collar
- 2.2 Tuff Pupper Heavy Duty Comfort Collar with Handle
- 2.3 Regal Dog Products Waterproof Collar
- 2.4 Ruffwear Crag Reflective Collar
- 2.5 PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar
- 2.6 Joytale Reflective Dog Collar
- 2.7 Coastal New Earth Collar
- 2.8 Lupine Original Designs Dog Collar
- 2.9 Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Nylon Dog Collar
- 2.10 Perri’s Padded Leather Dog Collar
- 2.11 Black Rhino‘s Heavy Duty Comfort Collar
- 3 Best Dog Collar Brands – Conclusion
Should You Always Shop for a Leather Dog Collar?
In a world of nylon collars, a soft leather dog collar will always stand out. Leather dog collars are great, but they’re not always the best dog collars. Although they’re considered top collars, there are other collars that would work just as well.
Size and Width
Make sure to measure your pup’s neck before purchasing leather collars. You’ll want to leave enough room to comfortably fit two fingers between the leather collars and your dog’s neck. Choose a width that is appropriate for your dog’s size and breed. A wider collar may be more comfortable for a larger breed, while a narrower dog’s collar may be better for small dogs.
Durability, Style, and Price
A leather dog collar can last for many years with proper care, but it is important to choose a high-quality leather that is durable and won’t break easily. There are many different styles of leather dog collars available, so you’ll want to choose one that fits your dog’s personality and your own personal style.
Best Dog Collars: What to Look For
Before you decide on look and function, every good dog collar must follow a few guidelines.
It might seem like price and quality to go hand in hand. While that can be true, you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg to find a quality collar. You want one with heavy duty hardware and perhaps a lifetime guarantee as well.
If you’ve bought a few dog collars only for your furry friend to wear the collars out in a short time, it might be time to upgrade to durable hardware and sturdier material. It’s also possible that you might benefit from buying more than one collar.
For example, suppose your dog enjoys rubbing or scratching their neck and back. In that case, it might be best to have a few cheap but comfortable dog collars, so you worry less about expensive collars wearing out too soon. The same is true if your dog has a habit of biting or chewing at its collar.
Just as not all people feel comfortable wearing necklaces, not all dogs like their collars. However, you can make it easier on your fur baby by choosing a collar that’s comfortable to wear.
Some materials are surer bets than others, but it can be a bit of a gamble when a stubborn dog rejects a collar. Avoid hard materials, like plastic and metal.
Instead, try out flexible materials and a fit that doesn’t cause pinching or chafing especially for large dogs. Leather (or faux), nylon, and neoprene should be at the top of your list. You’d find style collars made of these materials.
Small, medium, and large are general sizes, which means the measurements can vary. Therefore, it’s best to measure your dog rather than rely on the three universal sizes. When measuring your pet’s neck, you can use a flexible or fabric measuring tape.
You can also use a ruler or sturdier measuring tape in combination with a string or similar material. First, shape the string around your dog’s neck, then mark the length with a finger or marker. Finally, compare the string to your measuring device.
Remember to measure where the dog collar will sit, which tends to be the base of the dogs necks. Also, measure your pup’s neck circumference twice, as mistakes can happen.
Use the two fingers rule. You place two fingers, side by side, flat under the measuring tape or string. The trick ensures your dog has room to breathe and move while wearing its collar. Generally, it adds an extra inch or two.
A high-quality good dog collar ensures durability, but you can improve your chances of success by considering what the collar needs to endure. You might want to check out various collars, and see which collar performed best when they’re wet or dry.
Seek out dog collar brands that off warranty and quality assurances. For example, if it’s a cloth material, is it washable? Is it stain-resistant or fray-resistant? There can be a lot of variables, but quality and function are the best determining factors.
If you want something for special occasions or holidays, it doesn’t need to pass strength tests. But if it’s something worn during training, walks, or other activities, you need to be sure it can handle pulling, scratching, and weather conditions.
Are you looking for something to use everyday or just on occasion? Do you have a pup that tends to pull or slip out of its collar? You might benefit from using a martingale dog collar. You could also get breakaway collars for pups that tend to get into trouble.
A martingale collar is a type of dog collar that is designed to prevent most dogs from slipping out of their collar. The martingale collar comprises of two loops: one to go over the head and the other that attaches to the leash. If there’s tension on the leash, it’ll cause the neck loop to constrict, which prevents escape.
Today, a martingale collar popular among dog owners because it is more humane than a choke collar and safer than prong collars. Some martingale collars also have a quick-release buckle that makes them easy to take on and off, making them ideal for everyday wear.
You can even get a matching leash for your collar or dog tags that would go well with the leash and collar. Just make sure to get a collar with strong box stitching to help reinforce pressure.
Best Dog Collars
Keeping in mind quality, comfort, and durability, we’re sharing the best dog collar brands.
Illumiseen LED Collar
- THIS WILL SAVE YOUR DOG'S LIFE - Vehicles will see your dog well in advance with this bright necklace - ALL THE TIME
- 2X TIMES MORE BATTERY LIFE THAN THE COMPETITION – At least 6 hours of illumination per 1-hour charge in flashing mode – 3 hours in steady...
- USER-FRIENDLY, COMFORTABLE, FULLY ADJUSTABLE - Change the light between quick flash, slow flash or steady mode with just a push of the button....
Never lose sight of your dogs in the dark! The Illumiseen LED collar glows brightly with three separate modes: steady, rapid flashing, and slow flashing. This collar includes a USB rechargeable battery, which lasts 5 hours after a 1-hour charge. It’s also padded and adjustable for comfort.
For extra visibility, Illumiseen also creates LED matching leashes. Suppose you want to join your pup for night outings. In that case, you can also light up with Illumiseen dog products, like their belt with reflective stitching or illuminating waist pack. The Illumiseen collar is available in six different LED colors and six sizes. However, the LED collar can be hazardous for chewy dogs.
Tuff Pupper Heavy Duty Comfort Collar with Handle
- TOUGH DOG COLLAR BUILT TO LAST – Heavy duty dog collar with metal buckle built with 3mm thick rip and fray-proof ballistic nylon. Premium 100%...
- INTEGRATED STRETCH BUNGEE SAFETY HANDLE – Convenient integrated bungee stretch handle enables easier control of your dog’s movement when...
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT & SAFETY – Soft neoprene padding along the inner collar provides maximum breathability for vigorous activity during hot...
If your canine chews anything and everything, or maybe frequently scratches at their neck, look no further than Tuff Pupper for extreme durability. The collar uses rip and fray-proof ballistic nylon to provide heavy-duty durability. In addition, the exterior stitching is made of reflective material, which is a handy safety feature.
The 100% stainless steel buckle and hardware create five adjustable points, which means more flexibility for collar measurements. The attached bungee handle enables tight control, which can be helpful for dogs that need a hands-on reminder to be still.
Tuff Pupper also brags about world-class customer service with a satisfaction guarantee and lifetime warranty. If you have any issues with Tuff Pupper pet accessories in the first 30 days, they’ll replace your purchase at no cost. The Tuff Pupper collar comes in eight colors and three adjustable sizes.
Regal Dog Products Waterproof Collar
- ADJUSTABLE / CUSTOMIZABLE FIT: This handmade dog collar fits small, medium, large, and big dogs. It can be used for neck sizes ranging from 13...
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: This heavy duty waterproof dog collar is constructed with rust resistant, nickel-plated double buckle which lets the...
- COMPLETELY WATERPROOF: Does your pup love the beach? This is the perfect collar for you! vinyl-coated webbing is more durable than rubber, nylon,...
The top dog by far when it comes to best dog collars, you will love Regal Dog’s collars. With synthetic, indestructible material, your dog can enjoy all the great outdoors has to offer without ruining another collar. Odor-proof and waterproof, there are six color variations available in three adjustable sizes. In addition, the vinyl-coating ensures the collar remains flexible in cold weather.
Regal Dog Products are handcrafted using durable textiles and synthetic leathers, which means you’ll rarely need to replace them. Their waterproof collar is also available in different styles, such as the military clasp or sturdy buckle.
Ruffwear Crag Reflective Collar
- Abrasion-resistant: Reflective Tubelok webbing is colorfast and long-wearing
- Easy release: Easy-to-use side-release buckle
- Aluminum V-ring provides a secure leash attachment point
Ruffwear offers a few durable options, but we’re leading with the Crag Reflective collar. The collar has an accessible side-release buckle and durable webbing with reflective thread. The collar is available in both solid colors and patterns for a total of six options in three sizes.
Their Crag Collar offers the best of Ruffwear’s features. It comes with an aluminum V-ring, a separate ID tag attachment point, and a silicone tag silencer. You can also check out their martingale and chain dog collars if that’s your preferred style.
PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar
- MOST EFFECTIVE NO-PULL SOLUTION: Designed by a veterinary behaviorist, the Gentle Leader Headcollar is the most effective no-pull solution to...
- INTERRUPTS YOUR DOG’S INSTINCT TO PULL: Recommended by vets to interrupt your dog’s natural instinct to pull against pressure
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Designed with minimal straps to keep your dog cool and made with durable nylon and a padded neoprene nose loop for ultimate...
Your dog retains their full-movement range, including the ability to eat or bark while wearing the head collar. If you need a good dog collar for training, PetSafe is available in five sizes and eight colors, which is great for various dog breeds.
Joytale Reflective Dog Collar
- SAFETY: Highly reflective threads keep high visibility at night for safety. And you can easy find your furry pet in the back yard at night
- MATERIALS: Dog collar is made of nylon with thick neoprene padding on the back, making it soft. This prevents any irritation on the neck and...
- CLASSIC: This nylon dog collar is a classic yet stylish collar that comes in 12 colors and 5 sizes so you can find just the right one for your...
The Joytale Reflective Dog Collar is a nylon webbing collar with reflective stitching. The nylon webbing is durable and strong, making it a good collar for dogs who like to pull on the leash. The reflective stitching helps to make the collar visible in low light conditions.
The collar also has a plastic buckle that is easy to open and close. This collar comes in small, medium, large, extra large sizes. It is also available in 12 different color combinations. It could blend into your dog’s fur without any problem.
Coastal New Earth Collar
- Sustainably-made with eco-friendly soy fibers.
- Durable material that withstands wear and tear.
- Soft, cashmere feel.
This leash training collar is also comfortable for your dog to wear. It is easily adjustable, so you can get the perfect fit for your dog, and it is also a top collar choice for dogs with sensitive skin.
The collar is made from high-quality materials, so it is built to last. And it comes in a variety of sizes and colors, so you can find the perfect match for your dog. It may even become your dog’s favorite collar.
Lupine Original Designs Dog Collar
- Proudly Built in New Hampshire and Guaranteed (Even if Chewed)
- 12-20" adjustable length is suitable for many sizes of dogs
- For best fit read the sizing guide and always measure your dog
The Lupine Original Designs Dog Collar is comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of time. It’s also extremely long-lasting, with a quick-release YKK buckle and a rust-proof metal D-ring or steel D-ring for ID tags and leash attachment.
Aside from more than 80 distinct colors and patterns, including reflective collars, holiday themes, solid hues, and limited “MicroBatch” designs, Lupine Original Designs collars are also available in an extremely customizable fit. They’re also made from recycled plastic bottles, which is quite interesting.
Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Nylon Dog Collar
- 【 AWARD WINNING BRAND 】America's Best Petcare Brands 2022 & 2021 Award by Newsweek Magazine and Statista
- 【 SIZE 】Neck 12"-16", Width 5/8", Size Small; All pictures are taken with our production samples from a size of Medium; Please always look at...
- 【 MATERIAL 】Collar - high-density nylon webbing; Buckles - eco-friendly plastic; D Ring - chromed steel
You can never go wrong with a bright neon color, and a Blueberry Pet collar is no exception. It’s made of durable nylon for your tiny pup, and features a strong buckle closure to keep them safe. This particular size is meant for dogs with necks between 8-11 inches, but you can upgrade to a bigger size if needed.
Perri’s Padded Leather Dog Collar
Perri’s Padded Leather Dog Collar is not only fashionable but also practical. Its handmade, genuine leather composition and padded lambskin lining make for a comfortable fit, while the durable stainless steel or solid brass hardware add to its wear-resistance.
The collar comes in a wide variety of colors and five sizes, though the buckle and D-ring may be too close together on some collars. Note that leather care will be required to keep this product looking its best.
Black Rhino‘s Heavy Duty Comfort Collar
- SIZING - Small 11" - 15" | Medium 14" - 18" | Large 19" - 23" | Measure your dog's neck with a tape measure at the preferred resting place for...
- NEOPRENE PADDING - Give your dog the comfort he/she deserves. Each collar is lined with a soft neoprene padding that protects from irritation,...
- HEAVY DUTY & LIGHTWEIGHT - Constructed for all breeds, the Comfort Collar sports a lightweight design with heavy duty hardware that is tough...
The Heavy Duty Comfort Collar from Black Rhino is suitable for all dog breeds. The dual-layer, heavy-duty construction works particularly well with energetic pups, despite its robust design. Despite the sturdy build of this Black Rhino collar, it’s surprisingly lightweight and comfortable around your dog’s neck too, thanks to a neoprene lining.
Best Dog Collar Brands – Conclusion
Those are a handful of the best dog collar brands. Of course, you might need to experiment if your dog is picky about their neckwear, but you can’t go wrong when your choices consider quality and comfort. Which fantastic brand will your dog be wearing?
To shop all of our high quality dog products, CLICK HERE!