Going jogging or taking a lovely stroll around the park with your furry friend can come with a plethora of headaches. You have to be prepared and bring the essentials: extra poop bags, treats, and your sanity. Above all else, an essential component is a good leash. You have to consider if it’s efficient and make sure it is comfortable for your dog. However, sometimes handheld leashes can be tiring for not just you but the dog themselves.
You may ask yourself- ‘is there a better option to ease walks or jogs with my dog?’ Fortunately, there is! A hands free dog leash has recently become a familiar favorite for furry friend parents, and their dogs love them. So, if you are thinking of buying a hands free dog leash but don’t know where to start, you are in luck! Here is a guide on purchasing and using one that is perfect for you and your dog!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Hands Free Dog Leash?
- 2 Different Styles of Hands Free Dog Leash
- 3 Features To Consider When Buying Your Hands Free Leash
- 4 Most Popular Hands Free Dog Leash
- 5 When Using a Hands-Free Dog Leash
- 6 Final Thoughts
What Is A Hands Free Dog Leash?
- Removable Zipper Pouch: Easily store and access your smartphone, keys, poop bags, dog treats in the removable zipper pouch. It’s a good add-on...
- Double shock absorbers: Feature 2 shock-absorbers to help provide a bit of “give” in the leash. This can help reduce the amount of tugging...
- Be safe and visible at night - Reflective threading keeps you both safe and visible on your late-evening runs. Enjoy a 2” heavy duty clip for...
It might sound unbelievable, but it’s pretty simple! A hands-free dog leash is a big lasso that you can strap around your waist or cross over your chest that attaches to the dog’s collar. Initially introduced in the late nineties, the purpose of the hands-free dog leash is to promote comfort when walking your pup and to prevent hand injuries for the dog parent and discomfort for their pet.
The kind of hands-free dog leash you get depends on your dog. These leashes are mainly suitable for medium to small pooches with a calm temperament rather than larger breeds. If they are strong pullers, heavy and larger breeds, or reactive, you risk injuring your hip or your back.
Different Styles of Hands Free Dog Leash
- Sizing: 3 ft 3/4 in - 7 ft 10 in (120 - 240 cm)
- Lightweight hands-free dog walking rope leash for a no-hands walking experience.
- Easy to adjust so you can wear it across your chest, around your waist or use a regular long leash.
Hands-free dog leashes aren’t hard to come by, but it is overwhelming on what makes one the best for your furry friend. There are many options to choose from, though determining which one is best for your needs can be challenging. Here are two styles to look out for when finding the best leash.
- Bungee Leashes- perfect for not only frequent joggers but walks as well, a bungee gives your dog the freedom to move more, and its stretchy material gives you space. You want to get a lengthy leash. Shorter ones constrict the dog from moving around at their own pace.
- Collar Leashes- suitable for dogs who are well trained and won’t stray from their owner when they might be off-leash. This will allow you to quickly take control of your pet during their walk or jog.
Features To Consider When Buying Your Hands Free Leash
- ★ Security clips on the belt - Unlike other hands free leashes which can have your dog break free as a result of the belt unlatching, our...
- ★ Made for medium and large dogs -If you have a large dog, you need a leash that absorbs shocks and allows you to control it without breaking...
- ★ Perfect Control - Being able to fully control your dog may be crucial, especially when crossing a busy street. The easy grip control handle...
It might not be important to some pet owners, but when figuring out what kind of hands-free leash to buy, it is crucial to think about the features that will be ideal for not only yourself but your dog as well.
Shock absorbers are among the many recurring features in high-quality hands-free dog leashes. If the dog might be a strong puller, it prevents them from tugging, allowing you and your pet to travel easily.
Adjustable waistbands can be super helpful when configuring the hands-free leash to fit your and your dog’s needs. You want to make sure that it is snug yet comfortable to ensure that while it allows range for your dog to play, they are still close by. Another factor would be comfort: you want to ensure that the waistband doesn’t chafe or ride up while you jog or walk.
LED lights or reflectors are a necessary feature, especially if you like to jog or walk at night or in darkened areas. These can help passing motorists see you clearly, and it also provides additional safety for yourself and your dog.
Pockets are an essential feature that can be used not only for dog-related items but your own as well. If you want more baggage, pockets can help store the necessities like your house keys, phone, and even a water bottle. It’s always essential to pack light and to not overfill.
Leash configurations are not crucial but nice because they provide more functions for the handler themselves. Any leash with more than one feature is beneficial, and it lessens the stress of jogging or walking with your dog.
Most Popular Hands Free Dog Leash
- MADE FOR RUNNERS, BY RUNNERS. THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND. We combined our favorite features from...
- DURABLE, WATER RESISTANT, WASHABLE. Constructed from water resistant fabrics, the waist pack will proetct your belongings from sweat and bad...
- NO MORE BOUNCING. We designed the waist back to be worn snug at your natural waist. Tighten with dual adjust straps for the perfect, no-bounce...
When choosing the right hands-free dog leash, choosing high quality is non-negotiable. However, the leashes that are top tier can be pretty pricey. We’ve got you covered! Here are three wallet-friendly options that are sure to satisfy your needs.
Mighty Paws Hands-Free Dog Leash
Price range: $17.99-19.99
The Mighty Paws dog leash has quite the bang for your buck. The nylon fabric is waterproof, so it can withstand any liquid that gets on it. It also features reflective stitching so that it’s visible in the dark.
- Works for 30-100 pound dogs
- Adjustable belt fits waists from 26″ to 42″ in size
- Has a bungee chord to absorb the force
- 90-day guarantee
2. Kurgo Quantum 6-in-1 Hands-Free Dog Leash
Price range: $27.95
Kurgo’s Quantum 6-in-1 Hands-Free Dog Leash is an excellent find if you love multi-purpose products, tts six styles include around the waist, over-the-shoulder courier style, double dog leash, tether to help hitch your dog, 6 ft leash, & 3 ft training leash.
- Reflective material built in the fabric
- A custom steel carabiner that doubles as a bottle opener
- Padded handle to reduce discomfort when holding the leash
- Using it as a handheld leash is an option as well.
3. Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog Leash
Price range: $24.97
Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog leash is a top-notch option for anyone who wants only the best for their dog while also being money-friendly. It has an adjustable waist, and the leash can be 48 or 72 inches.
- Bungee equipped, allowing more movement
- Includes several rows of reflective stitching
- The waistbelt locks around the waist via a metal clip
- Two handles built into the leash allow greater control when necessary.
When Using a Hands-Free Dog Leash
- Be aware of your dog and the environment. Sometimes dogs will get distracted by another animal or human and suddenly tug at the leash. This will prevent you from falling over or tripping.
- Your waistbelt should always be snug around your waist. This ensures that it stays in place and reduces the chances of it falling off or chafing you.
- Always have less to carry with you. The fewer things you have, the more you can focus your grip on the leash. You may have to pull your dog back if they decide to make a break for it.
Hands-free dog leashes are a convenient way to make walking your dog trouble-free! You are assured that your dog is with you always, and you have a free hand to hold your phone, food, or drink. We hope our guide is able to help you with buying and using a hands-free dog leash!
CLICK HERE to check out our complete selection of high quality dog products!