Here’s a good question, How to get skunk smell out of a dog collar fast?
Have you watched the loony toons before? Pepe le pew was one of those iconic characters that everyone ran away from because – even though he was so full of love and affection his stench didn’t make him easy to approach.
In real life, the same thing is going to happen to you if you get skunk odor into your whole house and dogs are always one to sneak up on a skunk.
- Use What Your Veterinarian Uses: Thornell is the biggest provider of pet smell odor eliminator products to the veterinary industry in North...
- Tough on Skunk Odors: Use this deskunk shampoo for dogs and other pets to permanently and immediately remove the skunk scent in the first...
- Easy to Use: For use on a pet, saturate the entire affected area with Skunk Off shampoo for dogs and other pets. Thoroughly rinse and towel dry...
If you noticed that your dog got skunk spray all of over him, you know that it can be difficult to get the odor out of his fur or out of his collar.
You can spend hours or even days trying to get rid of the skunk spray smell off.
Skunk spray is one of the most potent smells in the animal kingdom, and it can be tough to remove once sprayed on fur or clothing. Luckily, there are quick solutions.
In this article, we are going to discuss some methods on how to get rid of skunk spray scent on your dog. So, read on to learn more!
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Does Skunk Smell So Bad?
- 2 What Neutralizes Skunk Smell?
- 3 How Can I Stop My Dog From Smelling Like a Skunk?
- 4 What Types of Products Are There That Get Rid of Skunk Odor on Dog’s Collar
- 5 What Can I Use to Get Rid of Skunk Odor on Dog Collar
- 6 How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell in Your House
- 7 How to Clean Nylon or Synthetic Dog Collar Material
- 8 How to Clean Leather Dog Collars From Skunk Odor
- 9 How to Clean Metal Dog Collar From Skunk Odor
- 10 Will the Skunk Odor Go Away Eventually?
- 11 Some Final Thoughts
Why Does Skunk Smell So Bad?
Alright, before we get down to business, it’s important to know about the basics.
Skunk odor is a form of sulfur. When a skunk sprays something or someone, it comes out in the form of yellow oil.
Skunk oil sticks to the entire body and other surfaces too which is why your pup goes home smelling like a skunk.
Skunk odor doesn’t have to hit a flat surface for it to give off that smell, the smell can still reach you even within a certain radius.
Once the skunk releases that odor, that faint skunk smell can travel everywhere and get into everything even if you are just walking by.
Closing the door in your house will help get rid of the smell, but it can also get to your dog’s eyes, your dog’s coat, your dog’s face, skin, and body.
- MOST POWERFUL SKUNK ODOR REMOVER – Made with the world’s most powerful de-greasers, De-Skunk Odor Eliminator Shampoo effectively breaks down...
- SAFE FOR PETS AND MORE – Powerful on skunk odor, but gentle on pets, De-Skunk for dogs doesn’t dry or irritate your pet’s coat or skin....
- KEEP ONE FOR EMERGENCIES – Since skunks are always a nuisance to pet parents, keep a bottle or two! of this skunk odor remover for dogs on hand...
Thankfully, skunks do not go around looking to spray people or dogs for that matter. Skunks are nocturnal animals, and they tend to avoid humans or other animals.
When they sense danger, however, they’ll emit that skunk smell to protect itself. If not treated properly, a dog can carry this smell for up to a few years.
So, it’s very important to give your dog special attention and rinse your pup out with a soapy water mixture when getting sprayed by a skunk.
What Neutralizes Skunk Smell?
Chemist Paul Krebaum found a solution that transforms thiols into acidic acids that sonically neutralize skunk smell.
It contains: 1 gallon 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), 1 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and 1-2 tablespoons water dishwashing paste.
How Can I Stop My Dog From Smelling Like a Skunk?
Even if your dog got skunk smell all over him, it’s not the end of the world.
There’s still a cleaning solution and all it really takes is to make sure that your pup gets cleaned properly with lukewarm or hot water, rubber gloves, dog shampoo, and an open container to get rid of the smell. Tomato juice is just a rumor, and bathing your pup in tomato juice can sometimes make the smell worse.
Therefore, skip all that for now, and go with these tips first:
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
Okay, so the first thing you need to do to remove skunk odor is gather the ingredients which includes:
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Soft bristled brush
- Damp cloth
- dish detergent, dish soap, saddle soap, regular laundry detergent, or any kind of liquid dish soap you have laying around your house.
- dog shampoo or baby shampoo
- warm water or lukewarm water
Step 2: Keep Your Dog Outdoors Before the Wash
Make sure to keep your dog outside first until you have given him a de skunking bath.
Dog owners can sometimes make the mistake of allowing their dog inside the house before getting a wash.
If your dog decides to run through your house while sprayed, you’ll most likely smell the scent in your home fora while.
Also remember that time is of the essence, if you have to act quickly – the longer the skunk odor sits, the harder its going to be to get rid of.
Plus, it can also cause some side effects on your dogs like irritation in the nose and eyes, as well as nausea.
So, make sure to check your dog’s eyes and flush it out with warm water or cool water which ever feels more comfortable to your dog.
- DID YOU KNOW DOG SKIN DIFFERS FROM HUMAN'S - Dogs' skin is less acidic than human skin, so human shampoos destroy a dog's skin protective...
- ODOR CONTROL WITH BAKING SODA - This dog deodorizer shampoo includes the signature Arm and Hammer baking soda to naturally control and remove dog...
- NATURAL DOG SHAMPOO - The natural ingredients in this dog shampoo - cucumber mint & baking soda - effectively work together to tackle odors and...
Step 3: Mix the Ingredients
Now it’s time to mix all those ingredients together to create the cleaning solution, you’ll be needing:
- 1 quarter of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1 tsp of dish soap
First, put on your gloves and mix the solution into a container that’s uncovered.
Take off the stinky dog collar and wash your dog thoroughly with the baking soda mixture. (take note not to get it in your dogs eyes.
As you wash your dog, make sure to wash him right after he has been sprayed by the skunk. Also make sure not to let the baking soda mixture sit on your dogs fur for too long.
Rinse out your dog with some warm water or hot water, which ever feels comfortable and get all the baking soda solution out of your dogs coat.
After you rinse your dog, give him a normal bath with some dog shampoo. Wash your dog well. Once done, make sure your dog is completely dry and allow him to air dry if you have a garden. Once he is dry, give him a fresh new collar.
Take Note When Discarding the Baking Soda Solution
After you are done with the baking soda solution, do NOT cover it because it can explode. You cannot store it or keep it anywhere in your house.
Make sure to get rid of the baking soda mix right away after use. Make sure to dilute the mixture first with a lot of water, then pour it outside or in the drain. Wash and rinse the container properly as well before storing it.
What Types of Products Are There That Get Rid of Skunk Odor on Dog’s Collar
There are several pet cleaning products that you can purchase off the market that can get rid of skunk smell. Most of these products contain a special ingredient in them called, neutroleum alpha, which masks the skunk smell.
If you do not have time to wash your dog, this would make a good quick fix but it’s still a good idea to give your dog a bath asap!
If you like to go on outdoor trips with your dogs its best to bring one of these products with you.
It’s also best to bring a few other essentials like a backup collar in case something goes wrong.
You may want to check out these products:
What Can I Use to Get Rid of Skunk Odor on Dog Collar
Alright, so there are a lot of options for getting rid of skunk smell let’s discuss a few of them and how you can use it:
Baking Soda and Synthetic collars
- Baking soda can be used in the same way as you use shampoo and hot water. Put in two teaspoons.
- if you are washing your dogs collars, you can place the collar in a delicate bag, then put it in the washing machine with fragrance or dye free laundry detergents.If you are going to go for a full load, you can add in a cup of baking soda in the washing machine as well. This will help deodorize everything inside.
- You can also mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with some apple cider vinegar in a bowl of warm water. You can also use white vinegar, this will help get rid of any smell and dirt on your dog’s collar.
if you are going to use dish washing soap to clean your dog’s collar make sure that the soap is very mild.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be used to clean a lot of things other than dog collars. ACV helps get rid of smell and dirt that could be left around. Although, if you are going to use ACV to get rid of the smell on your dog’s collars, do not use if it if your dog has sensitive skin.
Just mix some ACV and water in a bowl. When you are done washing the collar, make sure that you rinse it effectively and let it air dry to avoid any skin irritation.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell in Your House
As mentioned, if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk and decides to make his way through your house, the odor can also reach other areas. Here are a few ways to get rid of the smell in your house:
- If your dogs got into the house, open all the windows and allow the sunlight to enter. This will air out some of the smell.
- an HVAC system works well also. If you have one, you can let the fan run in your house continuously to allow air to flow through the windows.
- If you have some left over vinegar, you can boil it in a pan. If you have a little bit of the smell left, just leave it where the smell is located. The vinegar will dissipate it and give you some fresh air.
- You can also put vinegar in each of your rooms for a few days, but make sure to keep them out of reach from your dogs or your children to avoid any accidents or spills.
- You can make use of any cleaning products that you have around your house to get rid of the smell.
- If the skunk smell reaches any hard surfaces on your home, you can get rid of it with 10% bleach and water. Mix both evenly and then do a spot check before using it. Make sure that it does not cause any discoloration on your counter tops before using it.
- If you managed to get the odor out of your house, make sure to change the filters in your furnace and air conditioning units.
How to Clean Nylon or Synthetic Dog Collar Material
Cleaning synthetic dog collars is quite easy here is what you will need to make this successful:
- A soft brush with bristles
- Baking soda
- Dishwashing soap
- Apple cider vinegar
- Warm water
- In a bowl, place the dog collars inside and submerge it with the hot water and cleaning mixture.
- Make sure to soap the dog’s collar thoroughly and allow it to soak for up to 15 mins in the cleaning mixture.
- Gently rub out the remaining debris or dirt from the collar with a small brush. Be sure to get all the small crevices around the collar, especially around the buckle.
- After cleaning it with the solution, rinse it out with water and allow it to dry. Do not put the collar back on the dogs neck until it is dry as it can cause hot spots.
How to Clean Leather Dog Collars From Skunk Odor
With a leather collar, you can use the same cleaning mixture to clean it out. Here are the materials you need:
- Soft cloth for cleaning the leather dog collar
- Leather conditioner
- Soft cloth for drying the leather collar
- A bowl
- Cleaning Mixture
- Using a leather cleaner or the cleaning mixture, pour it into the small bowl and fill it with some water.
- Gently wipe the leather collar clean with the solution, then rinse it out with the damp cloth. Use plain water to rinse the leather collars.
- Fully dry the leather collar with a dry cloth.
- Using the damp cloth, apply the conditioner to the leather collars and then wipe the collar clean.
How to Clean Metal Dog Collar From Skunk Odor
Metal collars are quite easy to clean compared to a leather collar. Here are the materials you will need:
- Small towel for drying
- Gentle dish soap or shampoo
- Add a small amount of soap to the the bowl
- Fill in the bowl with some water then put in the collars inside
- Submerge the collars in the water for a few minutes
- Remove the collars from the water and use the small cloth to wipe away all the remaining dirt that you may see.
- Put the collars back in the water and rinse the collar again with some clean water
- Towel the collars clean and allow them to air dry.
Will the Skunk Odor Go Away Eventually?
- ULTRA HYDRATING DOG CONDITIONER: Dr. Sniff Dream Coat Dog Conditioner combines nature’s best ingredients to naturally enhance pet coat’s...
- DEEPLY MOISTURIZES COAT & SKIN: This deep conditioning treatment delivers powerful hydration to restore & soften your dog’s coat, and is made...
- MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Our pet conditioner is pet pH balanced and made with clean, certified organic ingredients including Coconut Oil,...
If your dog encounters a skunk and you do not give him a bath right away, the odor could last between 14 to 21 days. You won’t me able to remove the the odor unless you do something about it right away. It’s best to go with sulfur based products or thiols to eliminate of the nasty odor.
Some Final Thoughts
Skunks do not always just go and spray everyone they encounter; they usually just run off. Dogs are naturally very playful, and when they see something that peaks their interest, they will usually be friend it.
Regardless of the animal that your pup gets into contact with, its always great to keep your dog safe always to avoid any accidents.
If your dog encounters a skunk however, it’s a different story. When your puppy encounters skunks and feels threatened, it can be hard to keep them away.
Taking action is important to remove skunk smells immediately using these tricks. If you need any help, visit our website.