Our girthier dogs need a little extra room in their collars than chihuahuas or Pomeranians. But choosing the best collar for your large dog can be daunting. We’ve gathered a collection of great large dog collars, so you don’t have to. Take a look at these durable large dog collars for sale and ex large dog collars or dog collars for giant breeds.
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Dogs Need Large Dog Collars?
- 2 Large Dog Collars – Things to Consider
- 3 Top 5 Large Dog Collars
- 4 Large Dog Collars – Conclusion
Which Dogs Need Large Dog Collars?
Breeds that benefit from wide collars include:
- Doberman Pinschers
- Great Danes
- Bernese Mountain
- German Shepherd
- Great Pyrenees
- Saint Bernard
And this is only to name a few. Any dog over 40 pounds can be considered large and may require a wider collar. If your dog pulls a lot or wriggles out of its collar often, you may want a sturdier and thicker option. Preferably dog collars large breed or perhaps an extra large dog collar mastiff. Leather dog collars are also a good option for giant breeds.
Getting a wider collar for your large dog helps you to control them better on a leash. It also makes your pet feel more comfortable and secure. A wider collar prevents trachea injuries in large dogs and puts less stress on their neck in general.
Large Dog Collars – Things to Consider
Here are some details to look into while shopping for a collar:
When looking for the correct size collar, it is crucial to know the width of your canine’s neck. The average size for large dogs is 17.7 to 20.9 inches, and the average size for extra large dogs is 21 to 24 inches.
Collars for large dogs come in a variety of materials. They can be crafted from leather to polyester to nylon. There are different benefits and drawbacks to the materials like durability, comfort, style, and hygiene. Materials like nylon are lightweight and less likely to snap but suffer from wear and tear more easily. Leather collars are super durable and long-lasting if you can manage to keep them dry.
Some materials can irritate your pupper’s skin. With any new dog collar, you should check your pet’s neck area for redness or bumps within the first hours and days of them wearing it.
Some buckles and clips break easily, making the collar impossible to use, which is another factor to consider when shopping.
You can usually find out the durability by reading customer reviews from people who have used the collar for a while. If you pay $40 for a collar that you have for three months, this is frustrating. If you spend $40 for a sturdy, effective collar that lasts you more than five years, that is worth it!
Most dog collarshttps://regaldogproducts.com/spiked-dog-collars/ do not come perfectly tailored for your pup’s neck. Luckily, most come with the option to adjust the size of the collar to fit more appropriately. Some collars can be a pain to adjust, or some simply don’t adjust properly. This can be a serious issue if the collar can’t be accurately fitted to your dog, causing them to slip out or injure themselves.
Top 5 Large Dog Collars
Here are the top choices available right now:
Black Rhino Padded Dog Collar
- SIZING - Small 11" - 15" | Medium 14" - 18" | Large 19" - 23" | Measure your dog's neck with a tape measure at the preferred resting place for...
- NEOPRENE PADDING - Give your dog the comfort he/she deserves. Each collar is lined with a soft neoprene padding that protects from irritation,...
- HEAVY DUTY & LIGHTWEIGHT - Constructed for all breeds, the Comfort Collar sports a lightweight design with heavy duty hardware that is tough...
The Black Rhino Padded collar is one of the best collars out there for large dogs. This collar is a high-quality material that is durable and long-lasting. Each collar has soft neoprene padding on the interior that provides more comfort and prevents irritation.
The collar comes in ten different colors to style your pet however you want and is on Amazon for $18.95. The stitching on the collar is a reflective material that adds a fashionable touch to the collar as well as a built-in safety feature.
A common complaint among customers is that the buckle is difficult to work. The buckle operates just like a belt buckle, so it takes a bit of effort to put on but is not said to be easily breakable.
- Padded for extra comfort
- Reflective stitching for safety
- High-quality and durable material
- Color options
- Troublesome buckle
OneTigris Adjustable Military Dog Collar
- SOLID QUALITY & SOLID COMFORT: Designed with thick nylon strap with thick soft cushion padded inner lining to ensure your dog's wearing...
- GREAT DETAILS FOR USER FRIENDLY: Hook & loop panel for you to add a unique military patch/name patch or morale patch for your dog, an...
- 5 ADJUSTABLE POINTS: Durably made with comfort in mind, features a heavy duty metal D ring & metal buckle with 5 adjustable points; Easy to...
This military-grade dog collar is designed to withstand even the most energetic dogs. Made from long-lasting and durable nylon webbing, the collar is designed to last a long time, no matter how hard your dog plays. Even with the high-quality materials used, the collar goes for only $15.99 on Chewy.
The collar comes in five different colors, but they are muted colors that won’t draw much attention or make any fashion statements. Also, not all five colors are available everywhere, so you may have to do a little digging to find the color you want. Their focus is on function.
The extra cushioning in the collar reduces stress on the dog’s neck and makes it a more comfortable experience for them. Even after wearing it all day long, they shouldn’t feel any irritation or pain. This buckle also works how a belt buckle works, which can be difficult, but customer reviews don’t seem to mention it much.
- Comfortably cushioned for your dog’s neck
- Affordable for your dog’s neck circumference
- Durable material and long-lasting design
- Odd sizing
- Limited color options
The Superman Dog Collar
- Buckle-Down Seatbelt Buckle Dog Collar - Superman Shield Blue - 1" Wide - Fits 11-17" Neck - Medium
This collar has all the style you could want and will be turning heads at the dog park. The Superman Dog Collar by the brand Buckle-Down has a fun Superman pattern on it with all the strength of a superhero. But they sacrificed no functionality in making this a fun, eye-catching collar. At $22.52 on Amazon, the price is reasonable for such a heavy-duty collar.
The collar is made from thick nylon making it durable, lightweight, and comfortable for your pooch. It also has a heavy-duty buckle for fastening it. This buckle resembles a seatbelt and clips just like one too. Although this is a funky new type of clip, some reviews complain it isn’t the most effective.
People on Amazon rave about the durability and long-lasting qualities of this collar. People state the colors are vibrant and don’t fade after time. However, people seem to have varying issues surrounding the seat belt buckle design. Some complain it is too difficult to clip and malfunctions more and more over time. Others warn the buckle can catch on your dog’s skin or hair if you aren’t careful.
- Colorful and fun
- Durable but lightweight
- Troublesome buckle
Bestia Class Padded Leather Dog Collar
- 100% genuine leather- inside and outside
- Maximum comfort for your dog
- Unique design and quality
This heavy-duty leather collar is handmade in Europe and comes in either black or brown. The limited color options are because of how much care is put into manufacturing each collar for your pup. But this collar can handle any size dog and is sure to last years and years.
Bestia boasts about their patented leather and foam cushion that is fitted on the inside of every collar for maximum comfort all day long. However, genuine leather isn’t cheap on Amazon. The collar is $44.90, over double the price of the other three collars we’ve discussed. The collar may look heavy, but it is lightweight and won’t slow down your hound.
The company states the collar is made with genuine leather, but some reviews beg to differ. People accuse the material of being pleather, but this may be a misconception as there are plenty of positive reviews about the material.
- Tough material
- Super wide collar
- Durable and cushioned for comfort
- Perfect for extra-large breeds
- Quality is questionable
Moonpet Genuine Leather Dog Collar
- ❤ METERIAL: Made out of stylish 100% genuine leather, it is very soft and flexible. The inside of collar is softly padded and protects your...
- ❤ HARDWARE: Heavy duty large brass D ring on top of the dog collar for an easy leash attachment or ID Tags. The brass hardware will not rust...
- ❤ COLOR: Beautiful two tone color, your dog will stand out from the pack. This is a one of a kind designed leather dog collar at a great price.
The Moonpet Genuine Leather Dog Collar is a thick and long-lasting collar that gives your pet a bold look. The collar has a heavy-duty brass clasp that is guaranteed to last. It comes in a two-tone design with five color options to choose from.
The collar ranges in sizes from small to extra-large, making it an option for any size dog. This bulky collar is sure to be comfortable on any sized pet while still feeling lightweight. The padded collar provides comfort while the supple leather doesn’t irritate the neck.
This collar is simple to adjust and is only $22.99 on Amazon. People love how the leather feels, especially after being worn a bit. Many people compliment the quality and color of the collar. But some reviews mention a funny chemical smell and a stiff strap when the collar first arrives.
- Quality and durable leather
- Fits larger breeds
- Padded and comfortable to wear
- Easy to adjust
- Funny smell and stiff at first
Bully’s Pitbull Dog Collar
- The sturdy dog collar is made of soft high-quality leather and black punk spikes,strong enough to hold small/medium/large dogs,with this 2 inch...
- Each black rivet is studded on the leather collar by hand, that makes the spikes collar special and meaningful,The spikes are not overly sharp,...
- The metal buckle and D-rings are rust-resistent and studded on the thick leather collar,strong and studry, for long-term use and strong pulling...
Bully’s Pitbull Collar is a thick and nylon collar made with tactile materials perfect for training large breeds. This collar gives you great control over your pooch without being uncomfortable for your dog. The extra-wide collar uses stainless steel hardware to prevent any rust or tarnish over time.
Despite being called the Pitbull Collar, this collar is great for any large breeds that are high-energy. This collar will not injure your puppy’s neck, even if they are an aggressive puller. Customers state the collar is thicker than expected too.
The collar goes for $37.50 on Amazon, which is steeper than most collars we discussed. However, this collar has no poor reviews on Amazon, only positive ones which speak to customer satisfaction. Customers say it is tough, stylish, and comfortable on their pets.
- Crafted from extra-tough materials
- Easy to adjust
- Extra thick
- Comfortable for your dog
Large Dog Collars – Conclusion
- ADJUSTABLE / CUSTOMIZABLE FIT: This handmade dog collar fits small, medium, large, and big dogs. It can be used for neck sizes ranging from 13...
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: This heavy duty waterproof dog collar is constructed with rust resistant, nickel-plated double buckle which lets the...
- COMPLETELY WATERPROOF: Does your pup love the beach? This is the perfect collar for you! vinyl-coated webbing is more durable than rubber, nylon,...
So whether your dog is an energetic roughhouser or just a big, old dog, make sure you make them as comfortable and safe as possible every time you step outside. Treat your favorite buddy to a wide collar designed for large breeds that will make every walk relaxed and enjoyable.
CLICK HERE to shop our complete line of durable dog products!