This article will discuss the safety of metal clasp dog collars. Then we’ll give you our top market picks for metal clasp dog collars.
Dog pulling is typical during a walk, so owners need to select collars that are comfortable regardless of how much their dog is pulling. Metal clasp collars, often bought with tactical dog harness, get a bad reputation because people believe these dog collar fasteners can dig into a dog’s skin and injure them when the dog pulls.
Table of Contents
- 1 Metal Clasp Dog Collars – Are They Safe?
- 2 What to Look for in a Metal Clasp Dog Collar
- 3 Top Picks for Metal Buckle Dog Collars
- 4 Metal Clasp Dog Collars – Conclusion
Metal Clasp Dog Collars – Are They Safe?
Metal clasp dog collars are entirely safe in regards to dog pulling. It’s rare that the clip or clasp will dig into your dog’s skin. If it does it’s probably due to a malfunction of the collar or a distortion of the metal.
For metal clasp dog collars, the only thing you need to be sure about is that your dog’s skin doesn’t get stuck in the clasp. This won’t happen once you have fastened it but can happen when you clip the collar together. Leave a little extra space between the neck and the collar and check thoroughly before locking them together.
The two most common types of metal clasps for even the best dog collars are buckles and clips. Buckles look like belt buckles, and clips are similar to the plastic clips you have on your backpack. Both of these models also have plastic counterparts, but buckles are usually made from metal.
Metal clasp dog collars are entirely safe for your dog and will not cause them any extra harm. Now, the question is, which one is the best to buy?
What to Look for in a Metal Clasp Dog Collar
Before making our top choices for a metal clasp dog collar, let’s look at some of the critical factors you need to consider before making a purchase.
Buckle or Clips?
As we mentioned before, there are two types of metal clasps for dog collars: buckles and clips. Each has its pros and cons, and the choice is up to you. Both of the clasp types are durable and will keep the leash on your dog effectively.
The advantage of a clip-on collar is that you can remove it quickly in an emergency. For example, suppose your dog’s collar or leash gets stuck in an elevator. As they slowly rise to the ceiling, it’s a lot easier to release the clip than undo the buckle.
The disadvantage to clip collars is that they break more quickly than a buckle. Buckle collars are more durable and will prevent your dog from letting loose and running out into traffic.
While your dog doesn’t need to carry around a driver’s license with them, it is wise for them to have some form of identification. If they escape or get let loose from the leash, then an informative dog tag could make the difference in you ever seeing your animal again.
The D-ring is where dog tags are attached. It’s also where you’ll hook the leash. When shopping for a pet collar, you’ll have to keep in mind where you want to put your dog tags and dog leash. Having them both in the same place might not be the best idea.
If you want to hook your leash to the D-ring, it might be best to get a collar with two rings or a metal buckle where you can attach the dog tags separately.
Just because your dog’s collar needs to be practical doesn’t mean it can’t be stylish. There are thousands of designs for dog collars that could turn your canine into a fashion icon. Some top-tier designers make dog collars, and for a price, you could outfit them in famous brands.
You can get away with most materials for longer-haired dogs, but you might want something that doesn’t hold bad smells and is slicker. Look up the type of collar that’s best for your dog’s breed, and then find one with a metal clasp.
Dogs don’t care nearly as much about getting wet as humans. Most dogs will happily jump into a field of sewage if their owners let them. That’s why having a collar that is water-resistant and doesn’t hold bad smells is a significant advantage.
Whether it’s a rainy day or a swim in a lake, when a dog’s collar gets wet, it will hold that damp dog smell forever. You can try to wash it in your washing machine, but the metal clasps will bang around inside and could cause damage to the machine.
By buying a waterproof collar, you never have to worry about soggy collars or rancid smells. If you don’t think waterproof collars are fashionable, then we recommend removing the collar whenever your dog comes in contact with water.
Top Picks for Metal Buckle Dog Collars
Below you’ll find our top choices for metal clasp dog collars.
Most Fashionable – Designer Dog Collar
- 𝗣𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗶𝘂𝗺 𝗤𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆:: With reinforced stitching our designer dog collar is handcrafted for durability and...
- 𝗙𝗲𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀: The quick release buckle is fully adjustable with a side release buckle to fasten around your pet’s neck and...
- 𝗘𝘅𝗰𝗹𝘂𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻: Give your dog some style with a Regal Dog Products Teal / White Chevron Dog...
These gorgeous designer collars come in three collar patterns (blue, orange, and plaid) and have two metal clasp options. The metal clasps are more durable than plastic ones and less likely to fail.
The collars are handmade by Regal Dog Products. Their reinforced stitching makes them extra durable, and a quick-release buckle keeps your dog safe in case of emergencies. High-quality fabric delays wear and tear and fading.
Best Utility – Reflective Center-Ring Dog Collar
- ADJUSTABLE / CUSTOM FIT: Always measure for right size. This handmade adjustable dog collar fits medium breed dogs with its middle hole being...
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: Will never absorb mosuture or dirt. The durable dog collar is soft, sleek & odor-resistant. Made with premium polished...
- COMPLETELY WATERPROOF: Vinyl-coated webbing also keeps its flexibility in cold weather (remains soft & flexible to -20 degrees F) and is more...
These collars are probably the most useful on the list because they come with a bonus feature: illuminating your dog at night time. The biggest fear of every late-night dog walker is that a car or bicycle will come speeding by and strike their pooch.
This collar has a reflective material to prevent that from happening. When you shine a light on the collar, it illuminates. Not only that, but the collar also has a center ring which keeps it safe when tangled.
If your dog gets caught somewhere, the center ring will decrease tension on the neck and allow them to breathe until help arrives.
Best Waterproof – Waterproof Center-Ring/D-Ring
- 𝗦𝗔𝗙𝗘𝗧𝗬 𝗔𝗙𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗢𝗪𝗡 – Walking your dog in the dark is dangerous. Fetch some safety for...
- 𝗨𝗡𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗖𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘 – Not only does the reflective strip on the dog collar and leash keep...
- 𝗗𝗢𝗚𝗚𝗢𝗡𝗘 𝗗𝗨𝗥𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 – Poorly made dog collars and leashes often break the first time your pooch lunges...
These waterproof collars won’t just keep your dog’s neck dry. They’re incredibly durable and will never rip. This collar could last years without becoming smelly or attracting mildew. It also fits dogs of all sizes, from puppies to medium and large dogs that might need wide dog collars.
But of course, you might have to specifically look for a wide dog collar if you have a large dog with thick neck.
We like that it has the center ring as well, so it’s also tangle-safe. If you want a low-maintenance dog collar, this is one of the best choices.
Metal Clasp Dog Collars – Conclusion
- Soft Padded Genuine Leather Dog Collar SIZE S: 9.44-13.38in (24-34cm), M: 11.4-16.9in(29-43cm), L: 13.77-20.47in (35-52cm)
- Material: Made out of stylish genuine leather, soft and flexible. The inside of collar is softly padded and protects your dogs neck from rubbing...
- Dog Collar buckle and D-Ring are made with solid brass hardware, D ring on top of the dog collar for an easy leash attachment or ID Tags.
The collar you buy your dog will be their only outfit, their permanent wardrobe. Above all else, it needs to be comfortable and practical. So say goodbye to plastic buckle and say hello to metal clasp dog collars. Which one will you buy?