What size harness for my dog?
We know that it can be tough to find the perfect dog harness. There are lots of dog harnesses available in the market today. That’s why we’ve created a comprehensive guide to help you make the best decision for your pet. We’ll help you find the right type of harness, size, and style that will fit your dog perfectly.
A well-fitting harness is key to keeping your pet safe while out on a walk. With our guide, you’ll be able to choose the perfect harness for your furry friend in no time. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of harnesses available and what factors you should consider like choosing the correct size of harness and harness style.
Table of Contents
- 1 Dog Harness Size Chart
- 2 But How Do You Measure Your Dog’s Girth?
- 3 Dog Breeds and Their Harness Sizes
- 4 Signs Of Poorly Fitting Or Oversized Harness
- 5 Methods For Fastening An Overhead Safety Belt
Dog Harness Size Chart
When you purchase a dog harness, most dog harnesses will have sizing recommendations printed on the back of the packaging or included in the product description. There is typically some overlap between the dog’s girth size categories.
For example a medium harness may fit dogs with a neck size of 16-25 inches, while a large one may fit dogs with a neck size of 18-30 inches. If your dog’s neck and chest measurements fall within the weight range for both sizes, we advise going with the larger size.
According to the dog harness size chart:
- The average weight of a teacup dog is 5 pounds or less.
- Typically, a toy dog will weigh between 5 and 12 pounds.
- Small dogs weight range is between 12-24 pound range
- Typically, a medium-sized dog will range in weight from 24 to 59 pounds.
- Typically, the weight of a large dog is between 59 and 99 pounds.
- Dogs classified as “giant” or “extra-large” typically tip the scales at 100 pounds or more.
But How Do You Measure Your Dog’s Girth?
- 【ATTENTION】- Please measure your dog correctly according to our Sizing Chart, Especially the harness neck girth. And choose the best fit...
- 【Hidden Dog Harness Backpack Design】- Open the side zippers on the harness, you can find two folding Dog Harness Pockets. The hidden saddle...
- 【Durable Material】- Our heavy duty vest harness made of high strength 900D Nylon Oxford with sturdy stitching for extra durability. Strong...
Harness Sizing: Measure Your Dog
To get the most accurate dog harness size, dog owners must get a tape measure and measure their dog’s neck, breast and dog’s head. Position the tape directly above your dog’s shoulders where her neck is thickest not where they placed its dog collar. Take down those dimensions.
While dog harnesses are most often sold based on their weight, a measuring tape will give you a more accurate fit. Find the optimal harness size for your dog by adding the pup weight to its measurement in inches or centimeters.
Your dog may need assistance if he or she is very active and constantly on the move. For better control, ask a helper to keep the dog’s shoulders motionless, this will ensure that you will be able to get an accurate measurement of your dog’s harness size.
Harness Sizing: Measure The Broadest Part Of The Dog’s Chest
To get the right dog harness size, find the dog’s widest part of the chest and measure it. A dog’s chest is widest just behind its armpits. Tape measures over the shoulder and around the front of the body. To avoid injuring your dog, the measuring tape should not be wrapped too firmly around its middle. It ought to fit comfortably, but snugly.
Find The Correct Size Based On The Measurements And Your Dog’s Weight.
Take a note of how long your dog is and how much he weighs to the pet store. Compare that with the dog harness size chart. Knowing your dog’s exact measurements can help you choose the right harness for him.
Once you know your dog’s exact measurement, the next thing you should do is try to find a dog’s harness that is two fingers bigger than your measurement.
Next, examine the acceptable weight variety. It’s best if your dog’s weight is within the suggested range on the size chart in the package. Get the larger size if your dog is on the border between sizes. If the harness is too loose, it can be tightened, but if it’s too small, it won’t work.
Get The Dog Into The Harness And Make Any Necessary Adjustments.
Launch into action by releasing the harness’s fasteners. Then, assist your pet in passing his legs through the slits. You may now secure the harness on your dog by pulling it up over the dog’s neck and head and fastening the clasps.
After you put the harness on your dog, you may need to modify the fit. Adjust the straps to a comfortable level so that the harness fits snugly but not tightly.
Put two fingers beneath each strap of the harness to test for a comfortable fit. If you’re able to do so without difficulty, the harness should suit you well. If not, try relaxing a little. Most dogs harness will require multiple tweaks before it’s comfortable.
Dog Breeds and Their Harness Sizes
Small Dog Girth Breeds
Cuteness personified, small dog breeds weigh less than 5 pounds, making them very simple to handle and transport. These dogs typically reach the point of permanently relocating to a home weighing 2 pounds or less, making them easy for children to carry.
As a result, breeders are wary about donating these extra small puppies to big families with lots of little kids, as the constant lugging around must be tiring for the pup.
- EASY ADJUSTMENT: Put on and take off this product with 2 quick-release buckles with no hassle. 4 fully adjustable straps (2 Shoulder and 2 Chest)...
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Our heavy duty vest made of 900D Nylon with sturdy stitching for extra durability, suitable for all fields use. Two rings can...
- Molle System Use: Two 1" strips of Molle Sewn on both sides, allow your dog to carry gear in training. A wide range of use for personal service,...
Some examples of these cute furriers are:
- Shih Tzu
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Scottish Terrier
Medium Sized Girth Breeds
Several breeds of medium-sized canines were developed to work on farms or ranches full-time, hunt, or herd.
Because of their high levels of physical activity and intelligence, these dogs make excellent companions and pets. The cost of maintaining these pets is more than that of smaller dogs but still lower than that of larger dogs.
Here are a few examples of great medium-sized dog breeds:
- Bichon Frise
- Boston Terrier
- Jack Russell Terrier
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- French Bulldog
- Cocker Spaniel
- Portuguese Water Dog
- Australian Cattle Dog
Large Dog Sized Breeds
The average weight of a large dog is between 59 and 99 pounds. They’re active, so a backyard is perfect for them to run about in. Here are a few examples of large breeds of dogs:
- Golden Retriever
- Airedale Terrier
- Pitbull Terrier
- Belgian malinois
- Great dane
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- German Shepherds
- Italian Greyhound
Signs Of Poorly Fitting Or Oversized Harness
- Large Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Medium to Large Dogs, such as Golden Retriever, Huskie, Labrador, Alaska, German Shepherd, Akita, etc....
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog walks. Use the chest attachment clip...
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release buckles. Slide the harness over your dog's...
– Areas of baldness (fur loss) near the harness
– Experiencing chafing around the harness area
– The dog manages to free himself by wiggling and wriggling
– The harness’s back plate can be flipped to either side.
– A dog’s great resistance to being walked
Methods For Fastening An Overhead Safety Belt
Putting on a harness can be a snap if you’ve adjusted it to the right size.
First, put your dog’s head through the opening in the harness.
Second, bring the chest piece up until it touches your dog’s chest and belly.
Third, attach the chest piece to the back of the harness using the two buckles (one on each side of your dog, behind the front legs).
So, there you go! Now, you know how to determine the right harness size for your pup. Make sure to get the right type of leash as well.