Safety and comfort are important considerations when choosing a dog collar. Large breeds and dogs with thick fur will be more comfortable with wide dog collars since the width helps distribute pressure more evenly.
Read on to learn more about the best wide dog collars for large and furry dogs.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Eight Wide Dog Collars for Large Breeds
- 1.1 Tactical Dog Collar
- 1.2 Joytale Reflective Dog Collar
- 1.3 Black Rhino – The Comfort Collar Ultra Soft Neoprene Padded Dog Collar
- 1.4 Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Dog Collar
- 1.5 Mihqy Dog Collar with Bohamia Floral Tribal Geometric Pattern
- 1.6 ROAM Premium Dog Collar
- 1.7 Mighty Paw Leather Wide Dog Collar
- 1.8 GoTags Personalized Dog Collar
- 2 How to Choose the Best Wide Dog Collars for a Large Dog
- 3 Wide Dog Collars – FAQ
Top Eight Wide Dog Collars for Large Breeds
These different dog collars are great for big dogs and active pets. Their width will keep your dog comfortable and prevent the collar from digging into their skin if they pull on it.
Tactical Dog Collar
- 【 Premium Material 】-- Tactical dog collar is made by 1000D reinforced nylon fabric and strong metal buckle, which is very durable,...
- 【 Soft and Comfortable 】-- Adjustable Dog collar with quick realease is designed with soft&breathable padded lining, humanization design for...
- 【Practical Design】-- Military dog collar has special control handle, it can help you control your dog well, it’s perfect for medium and...
This tactical dog collar is a durable option thanks to its 1000D reinforced nylon construction. You can adjust the length easily with the Velcro path, and your dog will be comfortable thanks to the padded lining and rounded corners. Plus, the built-in handle will come in handy during training.
- Available in three sizes, up to 24” in length and 1.5” in width.
- Features a durable metal D-ring and a metal buckle for quick release.
- Built-in handle gives you more control over your dog.
- Durable nylon construction.
- The quick-release feature makes the collar safer.
- The handle is an interesting addition.
- Limited color selection.
- There is a risk of the handle getting caught on obstacles
Joytale Reflective Dog Collar
- SAFETY: Highly reflective threads keep high visibility at night for safety.And you can easy find your furry pet in the back yard at night
- MATERIALS: Dog collar is made of nylon with padded neoprene rubber material. This material is durable, fast dries, flexible and ultra soft
- CLASSIC: This nylon dog collar is a classic yet stylish collar that comes in 12 colors and 5 sizes so you can find just the right one for your...
Large breeds have extensive exercise needs. If you often go for walks or runs in high-traffic areas or enjoy taking your four-legged companion for evening strolls, this reflective collar is a must-have.
- When light shines on the collar, two reflective bands will make your pet highly visible.
- There are five sizes and 12 bright colors to choose from. The XL size has a maximum length of 28” and a width of 1 ¼.”
- The collar features a large ABS plastic buckle with quick release.
- It’s a soft collar with nylon and padded neoprene rubber construction.
- Reflective bands will keep your dog safe.
- Excellent selection of colors.
- Soft materials and sturdy hardware.
- Curved buckle for comfort.
- The plastic buckle isn’t as durable as metal hardware.
- Some shoppers say the colors look different in person.
Black Rhino – The Comfort Collar Ultra Soft Neoprene Padded Dog Collar
- HEAVY-DUTY METAL BUCKLE. Thick dog collar buckle
- PADDED TRAINING HANDLE & COLLAR. Maximum comfort for your pet with this tactical dog collar with a military look, allowing for faster training...
- WEATHERPROOF. Resistant to heat, cold, water, and dirt. Easily cleanable, washing-machine safe, and resistant to all kinds of weather conditions...
We recommend this heavy-duty collar for large dogs who spend a lot of time outdoors. The weatherproof construction is great for water, mud, and snow.
- Choose from five sizes and ten colors. The XL size is up to 27” long and 1” wide.
- The collar uses reflective stitching to make your dog more visible.
- The neoprene padding will keep your pooch comfortable.
- Sturdy collar design with plenty of padding.
- Metal leash ring and smaller ring for a dog tag.
- Metal hardware uses a traditional design with holes.
- The metal buckle doesn’t have a quick-release feature.
- The neoprene padding is thick and not ideal for hot weather.
Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Dog Collar
- 1 INCH WIDTH | Adjustable from 15 inch - 21 inch neck. Be sure to use our martingale sizing chart for the most accurate fit. (Use the true...
- NO BUCKLE | Martingale-style collars give you gentle control over your pet. Designed for training purposes, this collar slips over the head and...
- Personalize your pup with rich, fashionable colors and mirror like metal hardware. The classic style of this collar looks cute on both boy and...
A martingale or no-slip dog collar is ideal if you need a little help with leash training. These collars use two loops. The largest loop goes over your dog’s head while the smaller one features a D-ring for a leash.
If your dog pulls on the leash, the smaller loop will constrict and make the collar feel tight. When properly adjusted, martingale collars are safe to use since you can adjust the maximum tightness of the webbing with a stay.
- Eight sizes and 21 colors to choose from. The largest one is up to 31” long and 1” wide.
- Durable nylon construction.
- Martingale design.
- There is no buckle to secure, you just slip the collar over your dog’s head.
- The martingale design is great for teaching your dog not to pull on the leash.
- The collar is easy to adjust.
- Works best for dogs with a narrow head.
- Martingale collars are best for experienced dog owners.
Mihqy Dog Collar with Bohamia Floral Tribal Geometric Pattern
- 【Size L】"L" - Neck Fit 14.9"-24.8"(38-63cm),1" （2.5cm）Width; please measure your dog's neck girth refer to our size chart before...
- 【Fashion Design】 This bohemia floral tribal geometric American Flag Heart patterns collar will make your dog look more fashion and stylish...
- 【Comfortable Wear】 Made of soft and lightweight polyester material, makes your dog feel relaxed and comfortable when wearing.Metal D-Rings...
This collar is one of the best wide dog collars if you’re looking for original colors and patterns. There is a wide range of fun geometric patterns available, and you can even find matching leashes.
- Choose from 16 different styles with three sizes available. The largest collar is 24.8” long and 1” wide.
- The polyester and nylon webbing feels lightweight and comfortable.
- There is a durable plastic buckle and a metal D-ring, as well as a gliding buckle to adjust the length easily.
- This wide dog collar is sturdy and fashionable.
- The construction feels lightweight.
- The materials will dry quickly.
- There is no padding.
- There is no ring for a dog tag.
ROAM Premium Dog Collar
- Double-layered nylon webbing with multiple lines of stitching for toughness and durability to take on all types of adventures and weather
- ROAM collars are made to last with genuine nylon webbing, rust-proof metal hardware, and a non-staining minimal rubber logo
- High-quality quick-release metal buckle with a smooth locking mechanism
This heavy-duty collar is great for active pets. It features two layers of nylon webbing with plenty of reinforced stitching for durable construction. You’ll also find rust-proof metal hardware.
- There are ten colors and six sizes available. The largest size is up to 26” long and 1.5” wide.
- There is a quick-release metal buckle and a large D-ring.
- It’s one of the most durable wide dog collars thanks to its two layers of webbing.
- Reinforced construction.
- The quick-release metal buckle makes the collar safer.
- Excellent selection of sizes and colors.
- The collar features a large rubber logo.
- Other collars have more padding.
Mighty Paw Leather Wide Dog Collar
- At Mighty Paw, we believe that going for a walk or hike with your dog is one of life’s greatest pleasures. We are a proud family owned and...
- Premium Quality Leather: 100% genuine leather. The Mighty Paw Leather Collar is made from all-natural cowhide with durable alloy hardware that is...
- Super Soft Leather: Other leather collars are made with stiff leather that is abrasive and requires bulky padding to be comfortable. The Mighty...
This 100% genuine leather dog collar is a durable option to consider. The distressed leather look is fashionable, and the soft feel of the leather is an interesting alternative to collars that use nylon and neoprene.
- Quality craftsmanship for a durable leather product.
- There are four sizes and three colors to choose from. The largest size is 20.5” long and 1.2” wide.
- The collar uses durable metal hardware but doesn’t have a quick-release feature.
- Durable leather construction.
- Stylish and modern look.
- Sturdy metal hardware that uses holes to adjust the length of the collar.
- No quick-release feature
- Some dogs might dislike the smell of leather.
GoTags Personalized Dog Collar
- BE VISIBLE DAY OR NIGHT. Our strong nylon dog collar is highly reflective and comes personalized with our slide-on, stainless steel, pet id tag....
- DURABLY MADE WITH COMFORT IN MIND. In addition to the highly reflective surface the collar features, a stainless-steel D-ring for leash...
- SOLID OR REFLECTIVE COLLAR available in 5 COLORS to choose from: Black, Blue, Orange, Pink, and Red
This personalized dog collar comes with a curved dog tag that can fit up to four lines of text. The nylon construction is very durable, and you can choose to have a large reflective band added to the collar.
- Five colors and four sizes to choose from. The large collar measures up to 26” in length and 1” in width.
- You can customize the collar with a dog tag that includes your dog’s name, your address, and your phone number.
- The collar uses a plastic snap buckle and features a large D-ring.
- Sturdy collar with nylon webbing and durable stitching.
- The curved tag is more comfortable than dangling dog tags.
- It’s easy to customize the look of the collar with the different colors and reflective band.
- You can’t use special characters for the dog tag.
- This collar doesn’t have a lot of padding.
How to Choose the Best Wide Dog Collars for a Large Dog
Wide dog collars are best for large breeds because they will spread tension and pressure more evenly if your dog pulls on the collar. However, it’s important to choose a collar that fits properly and that meets your unique needs.
How Should Your Dog’s Collar Fit?
Your dog shouldn’t be able to slip out of the collar, and the collar shouldn’t be tight enough to cause discomfort.
Choosing the Right Material
Nylon is the most common material for dog collars. It’s durable, lightweight, and breathable. Besides, it dries quickly if your dog gets wet.
Nylon allows manufacturers to offer a wide range of colors and patterns. Some manufacturers also combine nylon with neoprene padding to make the collar feel more comfortable.
Nylon is a great choice for active dogs, pooches who are likely to get dirty, and owners who want a lightweight collar. However, you need to make sure the nylon collar you select has reinforced stitching and comfortable edges.
There are a few other materials to consider in a wide dog collar:
- Leather is a durable material. However, it’s heavier than nylon and you typically won’t find any padding or quick-release buckles on leather collars.
- You can also find metal chains. You should know that metal chains can pinch or scratch your dog’s skin and hair. Plus, metal collars are usually not wide enough to distribute tension evenly.
Collars Vs. Harnesses
A harness can give you more control over your dog. It’s also a good option if your pooch tends to slip out of her collar. Harnesses are also a convenient option for dogs with thick fur since fitting a collar around their neck can be challenging.
However, a collar is more convenient. It’s something your dog can wear at all times and always be ready for a walk. Collars can also be more comfortable and feel less restrictive, especially in hot weather. Besides, harnesses can restrict natural movements, especially large and very active dogs.
It might be a good idea to invest in a wide collar and in a sturdy harness. You can use the collar for your daily walks and equip your pup with a harness in situations where you might need more control.
Wide Dog Collars – FAQ
Do you need help with selecting a collar for your dog? These common questions and answers will give you a better idea of what to look for.
Is a Wide Dog Collar Better for Big Dogs?
Yes. Because large breeds are stronger, tension can build up when they pull on a leash. A wide collar made from soft materials can spread this tension evenly to prevent discomfort and injuries.
Which Wide Dog Collar is Best for a Dog That Pulls?
A martingale collar can be a useful training tool for teaching your dog not to pull. You can also use a no-pull harness with a leash clip in the front that will cause your dog to turn around if they pull.
What Features Should You Look for in a Wide Dog Collar for a Large Dog?
Make sure the collar will fit properly and be wide enough to distribute pressure. Because large breeds are stronger, you’ll also want a collar with reinforced stitching and a durable buckle.
CLICK HERE to browse our complete selection of high quality dog products!